KryoFlux is a USB-based floppy controller designed specifically for reliability, precision, and getting
low-level reads suitable for software preservation. It's here, it's there and it's working - today. This is the original developed by The Software Preservation Society.
- Read at lowest level possible - precisely sampling the magnetic flux transition timing. Custom formats? Recording scheme violations? Encodings?
KryoFlux reads them all!
- Save as raw stream, or export to common sector formats supporting: Acorn Electron, Apple, Amstrad CPC, Archimedes, Atari 8-bit,
Atari ST, BBC, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga, MSX, IBM PC, PC-8801, Sam Coupe, Spectrum, E-MU Emulator & Emulator II, DEC RX01 & RX02 and many, many others.
- Write back to disk. KryoFlux supports "one-click" writing of ADF, G64 and IPF files, with more formats in development.
- Parallel export support. E.g. An Amiga/ST dual format disk can be written as raw stream, an ADF and an ST file,
all at the same time during a single disk capture.
- Intelligent software allows production of sector images for virtually all normal disks for systems
containing a generic FM or MFM floppy controller. Many other weird synthesiser sample disk formats should
work right out of the box.
- Reading and writing is completely independent of real drive speed, also supports variable rate "zoned CAV" disks (e.g. Apple) in a normal fixed rate drive.
- RoHS and WEEE compliant.
- High quality immersion gold coated boards.
- Already in use at many institutions around the globe, e.g.: Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Yale University, USA; Bibliothèque nationale de France; Bodleian Libraries, Oxford, UK; Computerspielemuseum, Germany; Directorate of Scholarship and Collections, The British Library; International Center for the History of Electronic Games at The Strong, USA; The New York Public Library, USA.
Watch the trailer:
Write support (Amiga demo):
Write support (Atari ST demo):
Easy to use Graphical User Interface (including raw data visualisation):
Here showing a protection track
- Compatible with USB 2.0 (high-speed).
- Powered by USB interface (approx. 500mA). Drive requires its own power.
- Shugart (with extensions) drive interface. 34-pin dual-row header connector.
- Works with all major 3.5" and 5.25" drives, also works well with selected 3" (e.g. Amstrad FDI-1) and 8" (e.g. Shugart 851; might require additional adapter) drives; other types of drives and media currently under investigation.
- Connection of two drives supported using a dual floppy cable, one can be accessed at a time.
- Host software is currently Windows (XP, Vista, Windows 7 and 8 in 32 and 64-bit flavours), Mac OS X and Linux.
- Open file format, DRAFT, used to store raw flux reversal timing information - in development.
- Software completely free for private, non-commercial use.
- Easy to use graphical user interface.
- More details available here.
- Please feel free to contact SPS here if you have any questions.
D64 images created by KryoFlux work well with 1541 Ultimate, the Floppy Emulator for the C64!
The accompanying software is free for personal use only. Commercial or other use requires a license, please contact us for a quote.
Download the latest software (includes manual!)
Windows (v2.20, 2013-03-26), includes GUI, now writes G64 files!
Mac OS X (v2.20r2, 2013-05-14), includes GUI, now writes G64 files!
Linux (v2.20, 2013-03-26), includes GUI, now writes G64 files!
While you are here: try VICE 2.4a SPS (Windows) with enhanced G64 support to make use of your newly created G64 files. This version is sub-cycle exact and should work with all protections. It contains all our previous enhancements from VICE 2.3.20, some of which were left out of the 2.4a codebase for no apparent reason. This is the real deal that will play all true G64 files.
If you want to compile it yourself, get the files that have been modified (same as for 2.3.20) and apply them to the original 2.4a source download.
Don't forget to download Defender Of The Crown for C64 and Bounty Bob Strikes Back for C64 as well to try the new features.
Visit the KryoFlux Forums if you have any further questions.
Visit the KryoFlux Web Store to place an order.
We recommend you register so we can inform you when we release important updates.
If you already registered before, you don't have to register again!